Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Beat Goes On...

And we still have no idea what we are doing on the fertility front. Our appointment was ok. The Doctor is very encouraged by my stimulation and egg response. To give a recap I had nine follicles (they hold eggs) and 5 eggs were retrieved. Of the five eggs, 2 fertilized normally (and were transferred on day 3), 1 fertilized abnormally (hussy egg – two sperm got in – LOL), 1 did not fertilize and 1 egg was immature. 5 eggs is in the world of IVF is ok – but no where near where a typical woman my age is in terms of egg response. So with that said, if we were to do IVF again, 5 eggs may be as good as it gets for us. My ovaries, pelvis, tubes (which have been taken out) have been compromised from 20 plus years of endometriosis, my appendix rupturing, pelvic adhesion disease and fibroids.

I know that all it takes is one egg – but in terms of egg production, 5 eggs will in all likely hood put as at another Day 3 transfer with no possibility of FET (Frozen Embryo Transfer). Statistically speaking Day 5 has better pregnancy success numbers, but according to our Dr. Day 3 transfers can be just as successful.

Looking at the bright side – I am happy I got 5 eggs as there was a part of me that was kind of worried that there may be no eggs. I mean I did have a ruptured appendix for like 36 hours before it was taken out. It is possible that the toxins from my appendix could have destroyed all my eggs – so I am thankful there are some…and as I type this I am reminded that I am blessed to be alive after all of that ordeal.

So – with my history, my age, my response my Doctor was pleased overall – although he did want me to be pregnant right now. So – the dilemma is what to do now. Time is of the essence…as 35 is right around the corner and if we move forward we will need to try IVF later this summer. It is hard to make a decision still as both of us feel we have no clarity or direction about this. Of course the financial burden of this weights heavily on us both, but the emotional toll this has taken has been just as rough. We are going to take the next month to pray, talk and look at our options. Thanks for everyone’s support.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the news. I pray that the Lord would guide you as you decide what to do next. The girls want to know when we are going to the Bean's house!!

crayonmommy said...

Stephanie, thanks so much for the update. We've been waiting to hear how that went. We too will keep you in our prayers! Love you!

Linda said...

Hi Stephanie,

Was glad to read your update. You have gained a volume of knowledge here.
You know the burst appendix did not destroy eggs, only tubes. Good news!!! You do know that your body is free of all disease and can function. It just takes the right mix. I think a 5 day feels more like it could take.
You will know what to do and when to do it, or not to do it. Just know everyone is always there for you on any direction you choose.

One woman, three boys! said...

You have been so transparent through this whole thing with everyone. I admire your willingness to share your story with us. I pray that God will reveal his plan for you and your family, in the area of whether not to seek any further to expand your family.
With love and prayers.