Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Slow-Cook Tuscan Sausage and Bean Soup



Oh My Goodness. This recipe is awesome. (the picture is just before it started to cook) It is from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. I made this in the crockpot last time, but was unable to get the crock started before we had to dash out to a playdate for the Bean. Anyhoo, I made it on the stove and it came out awesome.

It is only 4 points for 1.5 cup servings. Love it!

I actually read a review of it on the WW boards and tried it.

Here is how to make it:

  • 12 oz. turkey kielbasa cut into 1/4 inch rounds (I used the Hillshire Farm light turkey)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced ( i just put these in the Pampered Chef garlic tool and juiced them so to speak
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1/2 medium bunch kale, chopped (about 4 cups)
  • 3 cups ff chicken broth
  • 1 (15.5 oz.), can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15.5 oz.) can of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine or water (I used water)
  • 1 tsp. dried basil.

In a slow cooker, place all ingredients. Stir and cover and cook on low till veggies are tender approx. 8-10 hours.

Since I was in a hurry yesterday I cooked on stove on low for almost two hours.

No comments: